Coronavirus - social, emotional and mental health support
Online coronavirus resources.
Here are a list of various websites that may have useful videos to watch with your child, or things to read with your child, around coronavirus (including bereavement):
- Child Bereavement UK: link for educational professionals supporting children who have lost someone due to COVID. https://www.childbereavementuk.org/coronavirus-supporting-pupils
- Childhood Bereavement Network: lots of ways to support bereaved children http://www.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk/help-around-a-death/covid-19.aspx
- BBC Bitesize: common questions that children may ask, or things they may say about COVID, and appropriate responses. Depending on the age of the child, you could let them read this, or read it to them. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zhphhbk
- BBC Newsround: videos for children to watch when someone has died of COVID. https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52283247
- Lots of resources on Winston’s Wish around coronavirus and children https://www.winstonswish.org/coronavirus/
- COVID-19 NATIONAL NHS BEREAVEMENT HELPLINE - 8am - 8pm 0800 2600 400 o Not a counselling service, but will offer advice and direct you to the best available support.
Books around child bereavement
YouTube links of people reading the books are included where possible.
- Little Bell and the Moon - Giles Paley-Phillips.
- Grandad’s Island – Benji Davis.
- Water Bugs and Dragonfiles: Explaining Death to Young Children. Online version here: https://www.strichards.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Waterbugs-and-Dragonflies.pdf
- Badger’s Parting Gifts – Susan Varley.
- Michael Rosen’s Sad Book.
- The Day the Sea Went Out and Never Came Back: A Story for Children Who Have Lost Someone They Love – Margot Sunderland.
- Rabbityness – Jo Empson.
- The Memory Tree – Britta Teckentrup.
- Grandpa’s Slideshow – Deborah Gould.