Get In Touch

Contact Details

Social Media

Translate
Search

Blossomfield

Infant and Nursery School

'Blossom at Blossomfield'

Minutes of statutory board meeting 21.6.17

 Minutes of the Statutory Meeting of The Board Of Governors at Blossomfield

Infant & Nursery School on Wednesday 21 June 2017 

 

Present:                Mrs L Bosley (Chair of Governing Body) (LB), Mrs B Farkas

(Headteacher) (BF), Mr T Tiwana (TT), Mr D Flavell (DF), Mrs S Church

(SC) , Mrs D Rothwell (DR), Mrs C Bywater (CB), Mr J Shaw (JS) 

Apologies:             

Absent without 

Apologies:              

In Attendance:       Mrs P Atkinson (Business Manager) (PA), Mrs K Morrison (KM) (Deputy

Headteacher), Ms Deborah Yardley (Clerk to The Governing Body) (DY)

 

The meeting opened at 6pm and was quorate throughout (8 governors)

 

 

 

Agenda Item

 

Supporting Documents

3

Minutes from the previous meeting – 15 March 2017

 

5

Draft Minutes of Resources Committee Meeting of 7 June 2017

 

End of Year Out-turn Statement - School

 

End of Year Out-turn Statement – Childcare 

6

Training records

 

SMBC Governor Training programme details

 

7

Managing Allegations Policy

 

Children Missing in Education (CME)

 

Charging & Remissions Policy – Draft 

8

Report of the Head Teacher

 

Child Protection / SEN report

 

CPD – Training Record

 

Curriculum Reports Summer 2017

 

Contractors Report Meeting May 2017

 

SEN Report

 

9

Minutes of Teaching and Learning Committee Meeting of 26 April 2017

 

10

Chairman’s Actions

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minute Item

Outcomes

3

 

 

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 March 2017 were approved and signed by the Chair as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

Minute ref: BFGB2506717.1

 

4

DF to send the Headteacher a confirmation email once ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ had been read.

 

Minute ref: BFGBM210617.3

 

5

Governors formally approved the conversion of the Blue Room funded from the devolved capital budget.

 

Minute ref: BFGBM210617.4

 

6

The Clerk to book governors on the agreed training courses.

 

Minute ref: BFGBM210617.5

 

7

The Managing Allegations, Children Missing in Education (CME) and Charging & Remissions policies were all adopted by governors.

 

Minute ref: BFGBM210617.6

 

8

The Clerk to add ‘fencing around school’ to the agenda for the November 2017 Full Governing Body meeting.

 

Minute ref: BFGBM210617.7

 

9

The Clerk to update the governor roles and responsibilities document to reflect the additional link governor responsibilities.  

 

Minute ref: BFGBM210617.8

 

 

 

 

 

1

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

 

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.  There were no apologies for absence.

 

1.1

Declaration of Pecuniary Interests 

 

 

There were no changes to any declared interests or new declared interests.

 

2.1

 

 

Governing Body Structure 2016/17

 

There remain 4 co-opted vacancies.  The Chair of Governors provided an update to governors on dealings with SGOSS, who are a voluntary organisation which finds suitable volunteers to match the skills required by governing bodies.  The update has

 

 

been recorded separately as a Confidential Minute.

 

3

Minutes of Meeting held on 15 March 2017

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 March 2017 were approved by governors as a true and accurate record of the meeting and were signed by the Chair.

 

4

Matters Arising from the Minutes

 

JS has undertaken Prevent Training.

 

The Headteacher asked governors to confirm that they had read ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education.’  All except DF confirmed this.  It was agreed that once DF had read this document, he would send the Headteacher a confirmation email.

 

5

 

Resources Committee Report

 

The minutes of the Resources Committee held on 7 June 2017 had been circulated to governors.

 

Governors noted the following points:-

 

The Outturn Statement showed a carried forward figure of £121,836 including Blossomfield Childcare.  The local authority had decided schools should accrue differently this year than previously.

 

Blossomfield Childcare had made a £22k contribution to reserves during the period of operation from September 2016 to March 2017.

 

The SBM is working with Schools Finance on the forward forecaster; support from Schools Finance has been improved which may be attributable to the letter written by the Chair of Resources following the issues identified with the forward forecaster.  It is intended to share the Forward Forecaster with governors in the autumn.  Initial views are that the new national funding formula is unlikely to have a significant impact.  The Headteacher referenced prudent staffing decisions and the expansion of the school as factors in mitigating any adverse impact.

 

Governors gave approval to the conversion of the Blue Room funded from the devolved capital budget.  Governors had previously agreed this expenditure by email.

 

6

 

 

Governance

 

The following governor training was agreed:-

 

19 Sep- Supporting Looked After Children – Chair of Governors to attend

  1. Oct – EAL – CB and Chair of Governors to attend
  2. Oct – Clerk’s Briefing – DY to attend

10 Oct – Child Sexual Exploitation – Chair of Governors to attend

12 Oc – Headteacher Performance Management – DF to confirm if he can attend

19 Oct – H&S in Schools – TT to attend

7 Nov – EYFS – CB to attend

30 Nov – Chair’s Briefing Session – Chair of Governors to attend

 

 

6 Dec – SEN Briefing – Chair of Governors & CB to attend

 

The Clerk to book governors on the above courses.

 

7

 

Adoption of Policies

 

The Managing Allegations, Children Missing in Education (CME) and Charging & Remissions policies were all adopted by governors.

 

8

Headteacher’s Report

 

The comprehensive report had been circulated with the agenda.

 

Governors noted the following points:-

 

Blossomfield Childcare

 

Numbers continue to be healthy.  An average of 15 children are attending wraparound.  The current cap is 16.  Numbers attending the before and after school club are very near to the capped numbers.  It is expected that numbers will increase next year and the Headteacher would review predicted numbers the following week and decide whether an additional member of staff needs to be recruited.  Governors were advised that this would a casual member of staff and would be known to the children as casual staff include lunchtime supervisors.

 

It is currently uncertain how the 30 free hours will work.  Some schools are not offering it and some are offering their own version of it.

 

Attendance for children of statutory school age is 96.5% (national average is 96%.)  Expectations regarding attendance were made very clear to parents attending the induction meeting for Reception.

 

A governor asked a question regarding the high level of unauthorised absence in Year 1.  The Headteacher confirmed this was attributable to 4 families, one whom has left and penalty notices had been issued to the other families.  

 

Governors confirmed their understanding of the importance of following up absence and safeguarding children who are missing in education.

 

Governors reviewed staff absences.  17 days had been authorised to a member of staff whose mother had a terminal illness.  The Chair of Governors had written to the member of staff expressing the Governing Body’s condolences.

 

Sites and Buildings

 

The Interclass report had been circulated to governors.  The Clerk was requested to add ‘fencing around school’ to the agenda for the November 2017 Full Governing Body meeting.

 

It is expected that Interclass will be on site throughout the summer holidays.

 

Staffing

 

Governors were pleased to note that 2 NQTs have been recruited to teach Reception and Year 2.

 

 

 

The part time Finance Assistant is working well.

 

The Headteacher confirm that all new staff have induction, safeguarding, health & safety and prevent training.

 

Governors discussed a named member of staff details of which have been recorded in a separate Confidential Minute.

 

Keeping Children Safe – the recent fire drill (the first with the new build occupied) was successful with the school evacuated in 2 minutes and 40 seconds.

 

SATS

 

The Headteacher advised governors that the initial analysis of Year 2 SATS data shows:-

 

93% of children meeting the standard or at greater depth in reading

85% of children meeting the standard or at greater depth in writing 90% of children meeting the standard or at greater depth in maths

 

Staff had attended a ‘vigorous’ moderation meeting at which teacher assessments had been reviewed and it was confirmed agreed with Blossomfield staff judgements.  One recommendation had been received which had already been identified.

 

Phonics check – the passmark is awaited but in previous years it has been 32 and based on this 81 out of 90 children (90%) would have passed.

 

New Build

 

The planned School Open Day was postponed on health & safety grounds; there are a number of snagging issues in the new build.  The Headteacher has received assurances that all issues identified would be put right before Interclass left the site.

 

Reception parents who attended the Induction meeting viewed the new build and were very impressed.

 

The Music Festival 20 June at Core Theatre was a lovely occasion and it is intended to attend it next year.

 

The Headteacher invited governors to attend the Gifted & Talented workshop being held at 9.30am on 30 June.

 

Charity fund raising

 

The Chair of Governors noted the huge amount of money raised for a small school.  The Headteacher advised governors about planned activities including a food festival on the playground celebrating food from different cultures and wearing traditional dress.

 

The comprehensive SEN report had been circulated to governors who had no questions.

 

The Chair confirmed she had signed the safeguarding register and the school bullying and incident log.

 

 

 

9

Teaching & Learning Committee

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 26 April 2017 had been sent to governors with the agenda.  Governors had no comments on the minutes of the meeting. 

 

Governors then reviewed the curriculum reports which had been circulated prior to the meeting.  The Chair commented on the superb content and lovely photographs.  The Chair briefed governors on her meeting with Mrs Rae regarding Humanities which had been very valuable.

 

Governors expressed their appreciation and thanks for all the staff’s hard work and attitude in moving to the new build.  The Foundation Unit team had done an incredible job.

 

The Headteacher advised governors that Nicola Russell had passed her moderation

exam.  The Chair had written a letter of congratulations.  Nicola is already moderating maths and English in two schools.

 

The Headteacher asked governors whether they found the curriculum reports valuable and governors confirmed they did.  The Headteacher advised staff found it useful as a self-evaluation tool and it was agreed to continue with the reports in the new academic year.

 

A discussion took place regarding curriculum links from September and the following was agreed:-

 

PSHE – CB

Art – Chair of Governors

Foundation Stage – CB

KS1 – TT

D&T – JS

 

The Clerk would update the governor roles and responsibilities document to reflect the additional link governor responsibilities.  

 

10

Chairman’s Action

 

The report had been circulated to governors with the agenda.  The Chair advised that the SEND update recently attended had been very useful.  

 

SFVS – Governors were advised that the Resources Committee had decided as previously to allocate a section for completion to each governor.  This worked well last year.  

 

11

Website

 

The Chair reported that it was disappointing that the request to update the website in March had not been dealt with.  It appeared that the installation of the software and hardware in the new build had taken priority.

 

The Chair would request that the IT Technician deal with the governor update requests as a priority given the need for the website to be compliant.

 

12

Publication of Minutes and Papers

 

It was agreed that the SGOSS update and the information regarding the member of staff were confidential items and would be minuted separately as Confidential Minutes Numbers 1 and 2.

 

13

Date of Autumn Statutory Meeting

 

Wednesday 22 November 2017 at 6pm.

 

[All governors who are staff, the SBM and the Clerk left the meeting prior to item 14.]

 

14

Pay Review – Single Status Staff

 

This has been minuted separately by the Chair of Governors – Confidential Minute Number 3.

 

15

Termination of Meeting

 

The meeting closed at 7.45pm

 

 

 

 

 

School Values

Below are our core values.

Happiness

Respect

Caring

Responsibility

Perseverance

Independence

Top